The first time I used a dating app was in 2015. I was in Italy back then and I had just gone through a breakup after a 4-year relationship. I was devastated, as you might imagine, but thankfully my friend Laura, who was living in Italy with me at the time, knew exactly what could lift my spirits: getting on a dating app.
Laura is American and she was already somewhat familiar with online dating so I jumped on the bandwagon, created my Tinder profile and started swiping. Little did I know that that was how I would meet basically all of my future boyfriends (three out of four).
Why using dating apps?
The concept in and of itself is quite revolutionary – while in the past, you’d have no option but to meet someone organically (either at work, through friends etc.), now you can access an entire “catalogue” of people that you know for a fact are looking for a relationship or, in some cases, a hookup.
The benefits that dating apps present are obvious:
- Even the shyest people will not have a problem making the first move
- You can always start chatting with a person and decide in a matter of minutes if you like them or not and, this way, save yourself quite a bit of time, which is crucial considering how busy our lives have gotten.
- You can meet people that are outside your social circle and that you would have perhaps never met otherwise.
The Dark Side of Dating Apps
While many praise dating apps saying they have made our dating life a lot simpler, many can’t help but notice their disadvantages:
- People are not always on their best behavior – since in most cases people are not emotionally invested and hardly even know the person they’re chatting with, it’s easier for them to engage in rude behavior like standing someone up or making offensive comments.
- People also seem to be more reluctant to settle on one partner in general – when you know it would be so easy to find someone to replace your partner, you may not want to work on the problems in your relationship and simply look for a new one.
What about you? Have you tried online dating? What do you think? Are dating apps making our dating life better or are they making it worse?